Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Quick trip to the Lot

I'll keep this a little bit short.

Short-form horror is an intriguing concept for this killer competition. Apparently, I'm the only one enjoying it, but I really want to see what these guys can do when faced with this tougher task. There're some really good filmmakers on the docket this week, too. Kenny's up this week as well.

This week's ouster: Bull-crap decision booting David, America. Seriously. If I have to keep complaining about this stuff to you, I may just stop discussing this type of show... wait, that sounds like a good idea.

The Malibu Myth (Kenny): I'm thinking that at least we get this out of the way early. It was terribly written, but shot EXTREMELY well. Goofy ending hurt him, I think, but so much better than anything else he's done.

Anklebiters (Sam): Interesting tone (sort of felt like an episode of Nickelodeon's old Are You Afraid of the Dark?) and great atmosphere, but I think his worry about working with a puppet came true. I also agree with Eli Roth about the tag with the detective taking away.

Midnight Snack (Andrew): Funny and well shot. Not his best, though, which disappointed me. That I can't come up with much else makes me worry about him.

Eternal Waters (Jason): Wow. Holy crow, that was good. He had a brilliant story, different from the rest in that it was much more supernatural and had a real story behind it. He took a big step up in the competition.

Open House (Shira-Lee): The directors that are working out of their element seem to keep doing well. This was good -- not the best, but really good.

Side note: Eli Roth keeps referring to other films. It's perturbing.

Profile (Mateen): I don't have a problem with making a statement, but I don't know how to feel about this one. Until I realized it was all in his mind, I'd decided this isn't a horror movie, thereby making him this week's loser on principle. It ended up being much better than I expected considering the circumstances. I really like this guy. That doesn't mean it'll save him.

All good ones this week, I think. But what we're missing here is a longer look into the making of these short films... maybe make the groups smaller and the films/intros a bit longer. It would serve everyone a lot better.

Mateen will likely be the one to go, though I'd put in my vote for Sam. These are all good filmmakers, but his was maybe the worst movie.

No comments: