Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A confession, a challenge and what to watch for Tuesday

First, a confession. It shouldn't be surprising given my age and TV watching tendencies, but alas, I've never watched even a second of American Idol. There, I said it. Criticize all you want, but it has never appealed to me. I realize I may be one of the only three or four hundred who can say this.

Now, a challenge. In an attempt to present myself to you as a real, live, somewhat serious journalist (and not just a TV dweeb who wants to write about his favorite shows), I pledge to watch American Idol with all of you this season -- well, most of it anyway. If I get hooked... well, we'll deal with that if it happens. But if you see me voting, I expect everyone to smack the cell phone out of my hand. That being said, I'll admit the only reason I've come up with this idea is that it's pre-empting House (and it's one of the only new shows on tonight).

Anyway, here's what to look out for this evening:

AMERICAN IDOL (FOX/8-10 p.m.): There's probably no need for me to even say this, because if you care, you know it's on. If you don't care, you also know its on and have planned to ignore it accordingly.

BOSTON LEGAL (ABC/10 p.m.): Having just started watching, I was significantly impressed with this show. The characters are (mostly) stellar and the writing is what you'd expect from a David E. Kelley show. New episode tonight has Denny (William Shatner) dealing -- with sheer exasperation, I'm sure -- with being put on a no-fly list.

DIRT (FX/10 p.m.): Start watching now before you're left in DVD catch-up hell (or the show's canceled).

Rerun of the night:
VERONICA MARS (CW/9 p.m.):
I love this show. It's funny and has stronger detective plot lines than most all procedural detective shows. Tonight is the replay of the midseason finale, getting you ready for next week's return.

Guest(s) of the night:
LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN (NBC/12:35 a.m.): Conan has comics Tracy Morgan (30 Rock) and Jim Gaffigan (My Boys). Both funny guys.

Also new tonight: An America's Funniest Home Videos special on ABC; NCIS, The Unit, and 48 Hours Mystery on CBS; NBC's Dateline and Law & Order: SVU; and also look out for a new Dirty Jobs on Discovery.

No comments: