Thursday, January 18, 2007

Still carrying that tune

I'll say two things for American Idol. It's a great show if you're the type who multitasks. I was able to sit and get through some e-mail, bills, a magazine, etc., and didn't miss a second of the show. Second, after a brief power outage at my home about 1:30 this morning, I've decided I'd rather have Idol to watch than the flame of the one candle I could muster up. (I'm not quite sure what says about our society, or my television watching addiction.)

Those compliments aside, I came home not only dreading having to watch another episode, but also reasonably happy that I can understand the at-work and on-the-radio discussions about the show. It's sad how much this show has permeated society, but as one of my favorite radio personalities pointed out, America has taken to the show almost like it's taken to the NFL (different audience, obviously); people watch it instinctively.

Ryan Seacrest has, so far, made this experience for me. He gets in some great jabs at these people without them even catching on ("you brought the sexy and she brought it back"!?). The judges get crap from either the contestants or each other. Seacrest gets away with saying everything I'd love to say to these ridiculous contestants.

None of whom I like by the way.

The producers pretty much have a freak show on their hands in these early episodes (why didn't anyone warn me these auditions last for WEEKS?!) and they take full advantage of it. I have trouble even watching most of the time, but that's because you're made to dislike everyone who comes before the judges.

But there are no real stories yet. There are vignettes. There are little comic interludes, but there's no one to latch onto, and I think that could be the real failure in the early going of the show. You don't even get to like 99 percent of the people on the show because they're all, well, freaks, and that's no way to run a television program.

Give me something positive, someone to root for. Not just people to feel bad for (or superior to).

Oh, another upside? Two hours of Idol becomes about 50 minutes when you're using the TiVo. It's not as daunting as it seems having to watch four hours in one week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So many people have an opinion about American Idol...good, bad, or indifferent. Me...? I am truly a fan...I love the show.

The auditions are quite amusing...from the "freaks" (as you say), to the judges, who don't always give "constructive" criticism.

Either way, American Idol is truly entertaining, which is why the ratings are so high. I'll be watching to the very end and can't wait to see who the next American Idol will be this year!