Thursday, June 7, 2007

Payne, lack of innovation and ... well, just read.

Tyler Perry's House of Payne: I realize I'm not in this show's main demographic. I'm nowhere near it. But, there's still a difference between good TV and bad TV. Tyler Perry's House of Payne is bad TV.

I can't tell if the show is supposed to be making fun of archetypal sitcoms, but it'd be bad either way. The show's dripping with bad acting, lame joke writing and laugh track. It's hard to make a sitcom original, but I would have thought it really hard to make one so unoriginal. Apparently you can take random characters from various sitcoms and fill their mouths with random lines from other various sitcoms.

I'm not familiar with Tyler Perry's film work, which is very popular, but I would hope it would be more original and/or entertaining than this...

American Inventor: Is there no way to make this type of show any different? I'm not even going to bother, and I'd hope you won't expect me to. I would never ask you to watch it either.

Destination Truth: FINALLY! Something worth your time (and mine). I love when they give a bunch of geeks some cameras and a show, and this one (in a time of desolate television landscape) is especially sweet.

These geeks (with full on Blair Witch-type camera work -- which may be a drawback for some people) open the show with a trip to Papua New Guinea to search out reports of a dinosaur in a village on a remote island. The village brought out the cavalry for this thing as the host explains, which is why they take this report as credible. (They also check out reports of a mermaid-type creature.)

It's a little bit documentary, a little bit corny(the narration is cheesier than it needs to be, but tolerable), and extremely dweeby (they've already referenced Lost). Obviously, if they'd found something significant, the news would have already picked up the story, but it's still really cool and better than anything else that was on Wednesday night.

If you like stuff like Mythbusters or Ghost Hunters, block out an hour on the TiVo for this one.

No comments: