Thursday, June 14, 2007

Quick reviews

Rescue Me: I can't even express how gleeful this show makes me. I was nice to the show in my post yesterday, but the premiere episode hit me a lot harder than I even expected. I don't even want to discuss the plot so as not to give it away and waste another one of my clever spoiler warnings. But there are no other hourlong dramas that consistently cause me to pause the TiVo so I can stop laughing -- then five minutes later have me gasping or tearing up or agape at the brilliant story they're telling me.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the first five minutes the TiVo recorded were red carpet interviews with the cast at the premiere. There's no need for that. I'll watch it on the DVD or the TV Guide channel if I even wanted to watch it at all.

Last Comic Standing: I'm really mad at NBC for what they did to this show in seasons three and four. It was an abomination. Seriously. Season three destroyed the show and sent (the genius of the show) creator Jay Mohr away. Season four was just filled with pretty lame comics and the voting system stunk (not that any voting system that would allow Dat Phan to win a comedy contest is stellar by any means).

BUT! After the first episode of this season, I'm happy with the show again. The audition process is always entertaining, so I'm not overly excited. And I'm not really happy with the addition of Bill Bellamy as host and former contestant Ant as a talent scout (I'm cool with Alonzo and Kathleen, but I think you need to be funny to judge comics).

Anyway, I like stand up and I like the base premise of this show. Even Ant's tolerable when he's not doing the stereotypical flamboyant thing for his act. This is a good show if you do, too. Just pray that the funny people get through, because after season four, I was worried that maybe the show had found every funny person and thrown them asunder. OK, I've used the word asunder. I should move on.

Lil' Bush: Here's my problem: The jokes are all played out already. There are some cute moments and some funny gags, but what Bush joke hasn't been told already. That's My Bush was fresh and funny. This is old and a South Park ripoff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll reiterate something I've said many times before: Josh Blue? Not funny. Dat Phan? REALLY not funny. Jay London? Utterly robbed, because the guy was hilarious. Last Comic Standing? Proof that not only does the average viewer not know what good singing sounds like, he doesn't know what's funny, either.

As for Lil' Bush, I won't be watching it because it just looks dumb. But I AM glad to see that the torch of That's My Bush has been passed, at least in spirit. The theme song alone deserved a respected place in television history.