Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Lots to say

I've decided -- On the Lot would be great if it weren't for the host, the judges and the theme music. This show could be great in a half-hour form... or maybe on the Web... I should research that, because I think you can watch all the films there. That's probably why ratings are down. Networks don't seem to get that they put all this money into the Web and their viewership goes down BECAUSE of it.

Interesting lot tonight. Maybe not better than last week, but some really promising content. I'm really pining to see longer forms of some of the work of these directors.

Polished (Andrew): Brilliant! Beautifully shown, great miniature story. Only thing that worries me about this film is that they used the best of the week's fare first AGAIN.

Love at First Shot (David): Not thrilled by the look of this one, but I like the geek content, which probably went over the heads of many. I agree with Gary about the pacing being off.

Beeline (Shira-Lee): A good idea, a few cheap jokes and a cute little payoff at the end. Not amazing but not terrible at all.

(Side note A: Guest judge David Frankel is worse than Michael Bay. And if I see our sparsely dressed host at the fake concession stand with the extra dressed as a popcorn-selling teen again I may puke.)

Dance with the Devil (Marty): I like the way this was shot, though I may have done better without the onscreen text when the bad guy spoke and I feel like a lot got left out of any sort of story. In a longer form, I'd probably have loved it. I'm glad he fought back, but he needs a full story.

Edge on the End (Kenny): Looks more like a terrible early 90s music video. Like for a Candlebox song or something. He's got a neat way of showing things, but he's not the mainstream type of director they're looking for on this show. David Frankel said his only smart words of the night terming this a "visual poem."

Who's going? Probably Kenny, considering his competition, but there's room for David to fall off, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So wait. A show in which contestants are judged on their filmmaking ability was seriously guest-judged by Michael Bay?

Dude, I thought you were joking last time.