Monday, June 11, 2007

Salud

You would not believe what I went through today for a simple hour of television.

I knew walking in to work today that the wires would be abuzz with news of the Sopranos finale. Sure enough, the story's on our front page as you wake up today. Luckily, I was charged with another section of the paper, but still a simple message to the newsroom -- pointing out that my last name happens to end with a vowel and there could be consequences for ruining my evening that may or may not include me dreaming of the culprit as a fish at an inexplicable Asbury Park boardwalk fish market -- served as my meager protection from the only piece of news I was really interested in this evening.

I knew it was possible to make it through the evening, as someone had pulled off a full shift without finding out who'd won American Idol.

Things started getting behind and I was forced to work on the Sopranos story on my PC without actually looking at it -- moving it from e-mail to the page. I have my co-workers to thank for keeping me blissfully ignorant. Still, I didn't get out of the newsroom until about 12:30 a.m. and was then detoured to Wawa for bread so I could have a sandwich. I sang audibly along with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" in the store in case the many goofy looking meatheads in there decided it a great place to ruin my night.

I'm pretty proud of myself. I've never been successful at such a clean getaway. I've actually had multiple Survivor episodes/finales ruined in circumstances surrounding work. But I also haven't been so excited for an episode of the Sopranos since I was in college (not that that was eons ago or anything).

If this lead-in hasn't been long enough to slow you down, I'll now warn you that if you read any farther, you will encounter SPOILERS. (That may have been my lamest spoiler warning yet.) Anyway, I feel my excitement was warranted. And, of course, it was met with what I'm usually met with when the show's credits roll -- ambiguity.

Not that the show wasn't successful. Seriously, I don't think it could have ended any other way. The aggravation that's permeated the past few seasons may remain for some people. But if it is, I think that means you never really got the show. If you expected a big payoff, you REALLY never got the show.

In fact, the show closed on what may have been the most suspenseful moment in its history -- Tony, seated with his family for dinner, watching his back. Just like he always has. Fans are left with the same uncertain future as Tony is. Will he go to jail? Is New York still coming for him? Who knows. But he's as content as he ever could be. He's comfortable with his family's current place: Meadow's choices. AJ again saved from himself. And Carmella still... there.

We finally see his closeness to Janice. And, more importantly, he's done all he could at this late hour to make peace with Junior. And all this from a guy who's lost another best friend to this thing. But what's a thug to do when his life and his work are indistinguishable.

Yeah, the family's stories all folded up nice and tight -- though AJ's may take a bit more to swallow after all that buildup. Paulie, too, makes a sort of peace with the boss in another entertaining appearance, and he gets the respect he was begging for just a few years ago without even trying this time.

As for what I'd like to have seen, it's not important. Plus, I went in with fairly few expectations. But if you're reading, that's what I'd like to see comments on. I'm interested to know what disappointed anyone and what readers may have thought just HAD to happen. (OK, one of mine would have been to see Patsy get it after bailing on Sil like he did.)

The finale can certainly be remembered for some classic Sopranos scenes, too. Tony and Junior, specifically, if only that the great exchanges between the two get one more airing, even if it's a tragic one. Another AJ bashing scene (with a little yelling at Meadow for good measure). An extremely sad moment as Tony visits his comatose cosigliere/childhood friend.

Maybe the funniest moment in Sopranos history pops up as well: "We might actually win this thing!" coming out of the mouth of Agent Harris. And, of course, what will be the most memorable whacking of however many seasons there've been. (Fare ye well Philly... you annoyed the heck outta me.)

It was a fitting, entertaining finale to a show that may have gone on just a few episodes too long. That's OK, though, it'll still be remembered fondly by all it's fans -- most of us in New Jersey (seriously, what other show allows you to watch and at some point exclaim "Hey, I bought my car around there" or "I know that Quick Chek").

And there's good reason for that fondness: It was probably the most captivating show of its time. And who knows what happens at HBO now. You thought losing Six Feet Under and Deadwood was bad...

No comments: